|Beetroot & Choc Chip Cupcakes|
2 large eggs
130g caster sugar
120ml vegetable oil
½ tsp vanilla extract
120g plain flour
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
pinch of salt
1 tsp cinnamon
225g grated uncooked beetroot
130g dark choc chips
For the icing:
175g cream cheese
450g icing sugar
125g unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 tsp strawberry jam
1 drop red food colouring
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/gas 4. Line a 12-hole muffin tin with cupcake cases.
2. Beat the eggs and sugar until light and fluffy, then slowly add the oil, continuing to mix. Add the vanilla extract and beat well.
3. Sift the flour, bicarbonate of soda, salt and cinnamon into a separate bowl, then slowly add these the mix, beating well after each addition.
4. Add the beetroot and choc chips and stir with a wooden spoon until incorporated.
5. Spoon the mixture into the cupcake cases, filling each by about two-thirds.
6. Bake in the oven for 25 minutes until dark brown in colour and spongy to touch. Allow to cool in the tins for 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
7. For the icing, place the cheese, icing sugar and butter in a bowl and beat well until smooth and pale.
8. Place half the icing in a separate bowl and add the jam and colouring. Mix well.
9. To get the swirl effect, place the icing in separate piping bags and place these in one larger bag. Pipe using a star nozzle.