Monday 21 November 2011

Scones

Scone with Strawberry Jam and Clotted Cream
You know in The Simpsons when Homer thinks about pork chops and he starts drooling while his eyes glaze over in a hypnotic trance? Well, that's what happens to me when I think about scones. Actually, it also happens to me when I think about pork chops as well, if truth be told. Scones are probably the first thing I ever cooked (not including warming some orange squash in my brother Jason's favourite red, plastic cup on an electric stove when I was about 4. Not a pretty first effort), although I'm still striving for perfection. This recipe comes from her Highness, Mary Berry, although I added the sprinkling of demerara sugar. Wild, I know. Serve with lashings (you have to use words like "lashings" when making scones) of your favourite jam and Cornish clotted cream. Makes 10.

Ingredients:
225g self-raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
50g cooking margarine
25g caster sugar
1 egg
milk
demerara sugar

Method:
1. Preheat the oven to 220C/425F/gas 7 and lightly grease a baking sheet.
2. Put the flour and baking powder in a bowl, adding the margarine and rubbing it in with your fingertips to form fine breadcrumbs. Stir in the sugar.
3. Crack the egg into a measure and beat lightly. Top up with milk to form 1/4 pint (150ml). Stir the egg and milk into the flour mix to a soft dough. Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead gently. Push out with you hand to a thickness of 1/4 inch (1.25cm).
4. Cut into rounds with a 21/2 inch (6.25cm) cutter and place them onto the baking sheet, well spaced apart. Brush tops with a little milk and sprinkle with demerara sugar.
5. Bake for 10 minutes until pale golden. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment